General View from the Northwest
George W. Marston House,
San Diego, California
Irving Gill and William Hebbard were the architects of this
early Craftsman style house, designed and built between 1904-05.
Marston was a department store owner and a prominent civic leader.
Blueprints for the house show the upper floors with Tudor style half
timbering. Gill simplified the final elevations during construction,
dropping the half timbering in the process. This view shows the
current driveway approach to the home, which originally was the return
loop from the front facing entrance and porte cochère on the right.
The projecting wing on the left contains a kitchen and other service
rooms. The house is now open as a museum that is run by the
San Diego Historical
Society. Photograph taken in 1997 by Howard J. Partridge.