Cupolas of Capitalism
Picture Gallery

Old Washington State Capitol Building (page 2 of 3)

Historic photograph of the old Washington State Capitol Building. Courtesy of the University of Washington Libraries. Minor image retouching by H.J.P.

Historic View of the West (front) Elevation
Old Washington State Capitol in Olympia, Washington

This photograph by Albert Henry Barnes shows the capitol as it appeared around 1906, with all of its towers and turrets intact.  Only two small towers exist today.  The 1892 building originally served as the Thurston County Courthouse.  In 1901, the county sold it to the state, who hired the original architect to redesign it to serve as the State Capitol Building.  Now known as the Old Capitol Building, it houses the Office of the Superintendent of Public Instruction and the State Board of Education.  The historic image is part of the Washington Localities Photograph Collection in the Digital Collection at the University of Washington Libraries.  It is referenced as: Manuscripts, Special Collections, University Archives, University of Washington Libraries, Barnes 2571.  It appears on the Cupola site with the gracious permission of the Curator of Photographs and Graphics at the UW Libraries.  Other uses and reproductions of this image require specific authorization from the UW Libraries.
Start Page of State Capitol Picture Gallery
Start
Previous State Capitol Picture
Previous
Back to State Capitol Building Histories, W-Z
Capitol Histories
Next State Capitol Picture
Next
End Page of State Capitol Picture Gallery
End

View States: A-BC-EF-ILIN-KL-MEMI-MON-NE,
NO-OP-ST-VW-Z,  or Back to Building Galleries

Site Index Link
Site
Index
Cupola Home Page Link
Back to
Cupola Home
State Capitol Building History Link
Cupolas of
Capitalism
 
Copyright 1998-2014 by Cupola Consulting,
the owner of Cupola Creations